- This event has passed.
Freediving Safety & Prevention Workshop
March 13, 2021 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
As freediving becomes more popular in Florida, the importance of safety becomes vital. How do we help someone if they suffer from a blackout? What about rescuing someone from below? How do we prevent incidents like those happening in the ifrst place? What sort of physicological issues can happen and what are the signs and symptoms? These are some of the questions, and more, that will be answered on March 13th’s Freediving Safety & Prevention workshop. When practiced responsibily, freediving can be an amazing sport and experience.
Location: Adventure Outfitters onsite pool and classroom, Tampa, Florida
Lecturer: Juan (Jani) Valdivia MD. Freediving Instructor, Medic
Audience: Certified Freedivers, EMTs, Nurses.
Setting: Classroom and Pool
- Certificaiton card (active)
- Mask, snorkel, wetsuit, fins, weights
- Pen and paper/notebook
- No Video-recording during classroom.
Classroom setting (8am start)
1. Basic Freediving Physiology. What you need to know.
2. Basic Physiology of Freediving-related Syncope, or Black-out (BO).
3. Freediving-related hemoptysis (Barotrauma vs IPE vs Traquea Barotrauma)
4. Risk Assessment
5. Risk mitigation
6. Basic Rescue Procedures and Assessment
7. Basic Neuro-Assessment.
Pool setting (1pm start)
1. STA Demo: Breath up and Recovery
2. STA Hypoxia incidents and Rescue
3. DYN Hypoxia incidents and Rescue
4. How to briefly assess neurological status
5. How to briefly assess Lung status
6. Depth disciplines, intro.
7. Q&A and Recap.